Sunday, August 8, 2010

Trapped with Six Young Men

Okay, this is not what I bargained for.....rain, mud, and six of my grandsons trapped inside the  RV.  I guess the first omen of the weekend was when, after borrowing Sheena's larger SUV, (mine only holds 5) , packing the over head and back, I loaded in the boys, and the car would not start.  All the men were gone, we tried to get it going, decided it needed a new battery.   Cori volunteered her car that holds 8, so we repacked everything into that car, and finally got on our way about two hours later than planned.  Once on the mountain it began to rain periodically.  The rain would break  for about an hour and they are outside playing war with their soft guns.  The rain would start, and they are right back in caked with mud and soaked.  The first night we were able to do smores around the campfire, they next night the wood was so wet...forget a fire of any kind.    I brought a few "guy" movies, Sandlot, Rocky, Rocky II, The Rookie, but that was my alternate activity.  I could have taken them all home the first  morning, but they were so disappointed, I just couldn't.  They promised they would help me and be excellent young men and they were.  I didn't hear one fight or major disagreement.  They were helpful and polite.  Justin, 15 yrs and Jade 14 yrs, treated Logan 13,  Brad 12 , Morgan 11, and Jaxon with patience.  Considering the large age difference, I was amazed how well they all treated one another.  Even with the wounds of Jaxon's eye ball getting wacked with a roasting stick, a soft bullet bruise on the cheek, and a large knife cut on Logan's little finger, they still were determined to have a good time.   My plan for this weekend was to share some granny-love and testimony of the power of the Priesthood.  Besides the fun, I had planned on a few stories about honoring the priesthood during WWII told around the campfire the first night and discussing the Sons of Helaman, then next night putting out a huge quilt in a open area, a circle with our heads and while looking at the stars, I was going to share some great pioneer stories of the priesthood in action while crossing the plains.  Then Sunday morning I would take them all to Alton ward, the little country church about 10 miles from our campsite.  Plans turned to reality when our three days were spent watching some movies, waiting for the rain to break, then running outside for a few hours of activity, then back in the RV caked in mud, soaked, changing clothes, eating junk food, and then repeat.  By Sunday there were no clean clothes and I was afraid I would not be able to get out of camp due to the mud.  I had a brief "fireside" inside the RV, Jade gave the opening prayer, and by the time I had finished one WWII story, the thunder was cracking.  I closed with my testimony and said, "Hurry, let's get out of here while we can." I never leave the Rv dirty.  Leaving filthy floors, dirty dishes, we literally were throwing packs, quilts, muddy boots, and guns into the back of the car.  I was so worried about damage to Cori's car if I had to go through mud and deep ruts.  Our roads are not maintained and are definitely for trucks, and when wet, can be very bad.  We had gone about a mile and just before we got to the gate to get on the highway,  rain started coming down so fast the windshield wipers could not keep it off.  We had got out just in time.  It made for some excitement for my young current and future priesthood holders.  I don't know if my plans were a complete failure.  On the way home, they were talking about when they could come to the mountain again.  One of the boys said, "Well, I want Grandma to be there when I go again."  That was all I needed to know.  It was all worth it, even with the mud and the rain.

2 comments:

Tim Arnold said...

Penny, it sounds like you are a good gramma to all those boy's, just like you were a great big sister to me while I was growing up, I always tell my kids I got more parenting and example from you than I did from my own parents, Love you lots, I have always looked up to you in many ways, looking forward to seeing you and Walt soon, Love Tim

katy said...

Sorry it didn't turn out to be what you expected. I hate it when that happens. I think all the boys had a good time. At least that's what their mom's said. Sounds like you had a lot of good plans.