Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Real Winter



Who's the kid?  Walt and grandson Colby enjoy a very rare snowball fight in our backyard. Snow laid for five days. Unheard of for our climate.

Walt and I went up to Cedar Mountain first of January.
This picture is a few miles from our property.
January had some cold weather.  We did not have it for Christmas, when I like it.  It came after.  It was fun for the children, but I was ready for our St. George climate after a couple of weeks.  I am no longer an Idahoan, but a southern belle these days.  February and beginning of March is like living in Oregon.  The mornings are cloudy and moist, clearing off to blue most afternoons.  Very strange for our part of the woods.  Of course, this would be the year I took a winter gardening class at the college.  I planted in October and gave it a try.  I guess it works most years, but this year it froze and froze again.  The garden was a bust and many of our permanent yard plants were damaged.  So sad.  I planted another winter spring garden. I have beets and peas about three inches high, and broccoli about seven inches.  Maybe I can get something off this one.

1 comment:

katy said...

Dad is too cute. It was really nice for my pregnancy having all the cold weather I have to admit but even I am a little ready for it to warm up a bit.