Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fruit Leather (crying over peaches)


Walt signed us up to help at the Cannery last week.  I had a ton to do, but went without complaining  UNTIL I started putting the greenest peaches in a can I had ever seen.  They were so hard that they would not go into the cans.  They would not mush down.  I was the last of the assembly, so they were already washed and preped for the can.  After about two hours of this, I started to get very sad.  I was raised on a farm and taught that you harvest when the fruit, potato, grain, or hay is ready.  It is against the law of the harvest to take a beautiful fruit, pick it on your time schedule, and tell it is ready.  Crazy.  I did not know how much it bothered me until we were at KFC later for lunch and Walt asked me what I was thinking.  As I tried to explain to him how I felt, I had to actually wipe tears from my eyes with my napkin.  Crying over a green batch of peaches! Later he told me that we could have had free seconds from the day before.  The seconds were ripe from the previous day, I made jam and fruit leather.  I read in Cori's dehydrator book that you can add nuts to leather before starting the drying.  I sprinkled them on top and it was not just good, but I could not stay out of the darn stuff.  Walt took an entire dryed tray with him for his day of hunting.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh my goodness. This cracks me UP! I love that you cried over peaches. That just shows how truly caring you are! Love you!

HeidiT said...

I was just talking to my staff this afternoon when some kids were eating fruit roll-ups about how we used to make our own at home with the dehydrator! Yummy, makes me want some :)

Kristi M. said...

Kind if weird that the peaches being canned were green. Our assignment out here is to take care of our rows of fruit trees at the orchard. I love this assignment. The 3 of us go out with our ward and thin or pick the fruit when told. Anyway, we are given specific instructions as to when to pick peaches and green is not in that. We don't want to ship them out when they are super ripe either but not green. Homemade fruit leather is so good.