Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Arlene Park Arnold/The Gift of Not Judging

Gift of Not Judging
If I was to randomly list all of mother's gifts, talents, or qualities, at the top would be her ability to not be judgemental.  Of course, the off spring of judgmental is gossiping.  She simply did not have it in her, it was a gift.  This quality seems to get lost these days in the finger pointing, blame others, and bash- another society we live in.  Mother rose above the pettiness of demeaning another to make herself appear better.  I remember one time I was talking about my Grandfather Arnold, her father-in-law.  I was about 13 when he died and I knew him in his mean years.  Mother listened and then said, "You did not know the real Dewey.  He always treated me well, even when I had problems.  I always liked him."  She didn't condemn me for speaking badly of him.  She just stated the truth according to her perspective.  One time Dad was talking about a neighbor that he thought was "stuck up and unfriendly".  Mother said that she had always thought this neighbor was just shy.  A statement of mother-truth stopped the conversation of any further judgment.  She did this often with simple one-liners that were never a lecture.  What a wonderful gift and legacy.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That's wonderful! What an admirable quality we can all strive for!!!

katy said...

How funny. I never new she had that quality. That is really cool. I try but wow, people really can get on my nerves. Maybe Ill take a lesson from Grandma.