Wednesday, June 2, 2010

An Unexpected Gift

Sometimes God just hands you an unexpected gift. One you didn't ask for, but when it's given is what you were hungering for but didn't even know it.  My gift came quietly as I glimpsed a bit pink in the evening shadows shining through the trees near our place on Cedar Mountain last weekend.  Walt, Brandon and Jade had gone scouting for deer, and I was alone.   I put my book down, and thinking I needed to stretch my legs anyway, took a short hike to the hill not far from our RV.  I was not prepared for what I saw.  It took my breath away.  As far as I could see to the west from north to south exploded a protrusion of color.  Deep orange, coral, pink, and purple clouds streamed gold rays with the setting sun.  I looked up and the color was above me.  I looked east and the same shades were muted there.  How could a sunset be 360 degrees?  Soon my visual experience transcended into my spirit as I took in the wonder of it.  It was as if I was a little child  being wrapped in a soft velvet comforter.  I lingered until the night shadows quietly filled the sky with stars.

1 comment:

katy said...

Oh, you finally got your Idaho sunset. What a nice gift. Sounds beautiful.