Sunday, July 18, 2010

Arlene Arnold/ Robin's Memory/ Mom's Kitchen the Heart of the Home

The following is taken from a 1995 letter Robin, her youngest daughter, enclosed with a cookbook she had compiled of Mother's often used recipes.  I saved the letter, and now since Robin's stroke and her difficulty in writing, I am so grateful I did.  It gives a glimpse of life on the farm, and a couple of memories of Mother.  Here is Robin's forward rom her 1995 cookbook.
"When I think of Mom, in my mind's eye, I picture her standing at the kitchen sink wearing a gingham apron.  Much of mother's life was spent in the kitchen.  Our kitchen was the heart of our home.  It was there that mother became barber for the boys; seamstress for the girls; washed milkers for the farm and cooked three meals, day in and day out for a family hungry farm workers and a family of six."  (end of cookbook forward)

The following is from Robin's letter that was enclosed with the cookbook.
"Christmas 1995
Dear Penny, Steve, and Tim,
I am sure this day, being the one year anniversary of Mother's death, has been a day of reflection for all of us.  I have thought a lot about Mom and Dad during the last year.   Experiences of my childhood on the farm have come flooding back to me more than once.  I realized that most of my memories were centered in one room, the kitchen.  Remember how afraid Mom was of mice?  More than once Mom scrambled for the safe haven on top of the kitchen table and wouldn't come down until on of her boys declared the kitchen a "safe zone".  I have no idea how many times between the ages of about 2 and 9 that I had to stand on that kitchen table while Mom measured a dress to be hemmed.  Mom's table in the corner of the kitchen served us well...I think I can remember every plastic center piece that ever sat perfectly centered on its' smooth surface....I think my most vivid memory if of that darn old rooster that used to chase me every time Mom sent me to gather eggs.  The minute I would step out the back door he would sense that something was up and lie in wait just daring me to try to get an egg.  Finally Mom was convinced to do something about him.    I 'll never forget coming in the back door and smelling the most delicious dinner cooking.  What's for dinner Mom?  "Fried rooster," she replied.  (end Robin's letter)

2 comments:

Danielle said...

haha- oh my goodness. That is a funny story. Very sweet to hear about her in the kitchen.

katy said...

How funny that grandma was afraid of mice but would chase off a bull with a broom. She was so funny. I never thought about that until now. We would be playing in the tree house and wouldn't be able to get down. That stupid bull always seemed to get out and stalk the bottom of the tree. We would start screaming and grandma would come out with a broom and scare it away. Subject change...why did grandma get so mad at us when we would swing on the willows.