Friday, December 4, 2009

Goodbye Washington Stake RS

I was released from serving as Stake RS President in stake conference and today was really my first Sunday back into my ward.  It felt so good.  I introduced myself to a young woman in relief society.  I asked if she was new and she said she had been in the ward for a long time.  I simply shook her hand and told her I hadn't.  Last year I attended our ward and new door greeters shook my hand.  They did not know me, and asked if I was new.  I told them who I was and thought they might pick up on the Cluff last name, as my hubby serves as first councilor in the Bishopric, laughingly telling them I don't make it very much.  They then told me all about how they used to be inactive TOO.
   I coud not leave this part of my life experience without acknowledging the wonderful councilors and secretary I was blessed to have before the Stake split and they went into the other stake.  Helen Lund was my capable and inspired 1st councilor and Cinda Peterson served as secretary.  I learned so much from them and treasure our experiences.  One of the most spiritual experiences I had in my life was regarding the names .to present for those to serve with me . when I was first called.  I look back on it and am still astounded at how powerful the spirit can be in such things.  When I was asked to come up with the names and present them for consideration, I had a major brain freeze.  I drew a blank, explaining that I knew many in my own ward, but few in the stake.  (After I came up with the names, I could think of many woman outside my ward who would have served very well.) The Stake President said he could take care of that problem and handed me the names of every woman in the Stake.  The Stake at that time was 15 wards, there were over 3,000 names.  I went to the temple with the list and came out with two names.  I wrote the President a note with the names and these words.  "Here are two names.  I do not know them, nor do I even know if they are active in the Church."  He let me know they were both "faithful and valient woman" and he would be immediately making the call.  I did not meet either of them until after they had accepted the call.  Helen Lund had been hit by a car a couple of years before, breaking everything below her waist.  She came to my home for our first presidency meeting on a cane and could hardly get out of her car.  She could not kneel for prayer for many months.  In her setting apart, she was promised healing due to her faithfulness to serve. She became the Stake RS President of the new stake when it was created  two years later.  She is a walking miracle and was a joy to serve with.

No comments: