Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Sister Robin's Visit


Don, my sister Robin Hollingsworth's husband, came home from Iraq.  Since her massive stroke almost a year ago, his returning home is such a blessing.  They decided to travel from Caldwell Idaho to Pheonix, Arizona for Thanksgiving, then on for a cruise out of San Diego.  It was sweet to see them for their night stay at our home.  Robin is walking without assistance, talking much better, and hopefully, she will get more use from her arm as time passes.  Her words are much clearer and she tried hard to visit with all our family.  We had a Mexican Fiesta to commemorate her visit.  Most of our family had not seen her since her stroke.  Our grandson Jade even missed his football championship party to be at our family gathering.   My family all hugged Robin before they left to get the kids in bed for school the next day.  My children and grandchildren have always valued extended family visits, dinners, etc.  I pondered that fact after they all left.  I know other "grandparents", such as Walt and I, who complain that their children do not support them in family functions such as we had for Robin and Don.  As I have thought about it, the reason is Walt and I have always valued our relationship with our siblings.  We hold them as most precious.  We speak well of them, we enjoy being with them, and we have supported them in as many of their special or non- special times as we can, even when it is not convenient or costly.  Because of that, our children value with each other and their aunts and uncles.  As I have observed seemingly snubs, or judging, or most common apathy displayed by adults to their brothers and sisters, I wonder if they realize the way they treat and value their siblings is exactly how their own children are going to treat each other when they are all out of the nest.

3 comments:

HeidiT said...

What a great picture! I'm glad the whole family got to come over, I know my mom and dad sure enjoyed the visit.

Kristi M. said...

Wow! You have all of your kids and spouses in that picture. That is pretty impressive. I too hold my siblings at such importance and I want Gunnar to understand that extemded family is so important to have around. I hope to be like my moms siblings in that all of you have made such a huge effort to make it to everything that is really important in our lives regardless of timing or cost. I value that.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

well, said! I agree, I think that is why my grandkids love me so much, their children speak well of me. I love what little I see of the house. I am so glad Robin is doing better. I loved the farm chores blog! I love how you documented that part of your life. I think I will try doing some of that. Love and miss you!