Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

   The weather man said that it would snow in St. George Utah last night into today.  It rained.  I thought it would get cold enough to turn to snow during the night, so when I woke up at 4 a.m. I excitedly peeked outside to see the snow.  Nothing.  Don't get me wrong, I like where I ended up with this southern man I married, but December has to have some white stuff.  My favorite non-religious Christmas song has always been (since I moved here)  I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.  Walt has often reminded me that a warm and dry Christmas is better.  The kids can play outside with their presents, but most importantly, husbands can do "man things" in the afternoon like go shooting. 
   I was raised in snow country on a farm southeast of Rexburg Idaho. Every Christmas I experienced had a blanket of white.  I remember looking out a large window in our living room watching the snow fall soft and gentle or sometimes sideways and hard against the glass.  Some years the snowy roof of the barn dissappeared seamlessly into a huge drift at its side. The farm animals, mostly cows, seemed to breathe white frosty clouds as did my father and two brothers as they dutifully did the chores morning and evening in the cold dark winter.  I felt sorry for them, when even on Christmas, the cows had to be milked, calves and live stock fed.  Mother would always have a hot delicious meal waiting to serve just as soon as they peeled off the layer of winter gloves, boots, and coats. 
   I knew people who did fun winter sports like skiing. I could only think of one word to describe them back then...what was that word?  Oh yeah, rich.   We could never afford the skis let alone the lift charges.  Our winter sport was to dig  a snow fort into the drifts, or when we had a horse, hook a rope from a sleigh to the saddle horn and slide through the field.  The farm had belonged to Grandpa & Grandma Arnold, before Daddy bought it from them, so I have many very early memories of playing in the snow.   The snow clothing then were not superior as now.  My indicator of when it was time to go into the house was when I was totally wet.  I remember standing by Grandma's coal stove and seeing steam come off my clothing.  After such a snow adventure, hot cocoa was ladeled right out of the pan where it had been made from scratch with whole fresh milk and cream.  Hot Cocoa is the first recipe I was taught to make when I was about 8 years old.  No powdered mix in those days.  So today, perhaps I will make a cup of hot chocolate, watch the rain, and dream of a white Christmas.

5 comments:

steve said...

It's nice to hear that you felt sorry for Tim and me when we worked outside in that cold. I remember it was so cold that it would make my back ache. Oh, and don't forget the 40 mile per hour wind to go with it. Do you also remember we used to slide down the side of potato cellar on the snow? Day before yesterday my daughter Danielle called me on the phone and said, "Dad, tell me how to make that delicious hot chocolate that you make."
Love,
Steve

Ann and the Reidster said...

Beautiful blog! Come on up--we have plenty of snow to go around! Reid had to blow it off the driveway twice already...
I remember those 20 foot drifts out in the country that always made it possible to get out of a couple of days of school a year!

Anonymous said...

Penny, I always looked up into that big picture window that you were looking out of and wondered why does she just look at us? why won't she come out and help us, then I thought it would be nice to be inside where it was warm and cozy and look out the window, just teasing you sis. love you, Tim

Anonymous said...

Penny, I always looked up into that big picture window that you were looking out of and wondered why does she just look at us? why won't she come out and help us, then I thought it would be nice to be inside where it was warm and cozy and look out the window, just teasing you sis. love you, Tim

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks