Monday, August 31, 2009

Political Penny?


Now when I say, I am not nor ever been politically active other than to vote, there was never a truer statement. That has changed. I am so fed up with what is going on, as far as government decisions, I have made a huge decision that I have no right complain if I sit on my rear end and do nothing. Washington City power rates are higher than any where in our county. Last year "the powers that be" built a huge community center much bigger than we ever needed. Now when I say big, two swimming pools, two basketball courts, huge reception center, climbing wall, track, every weight and elliptical type available, and it is only in use about 25% of the time. All of this is indoors. The lure of gov grant money to get it going and the glow of "our little city can now be a big city" ideology was more powerful than long-term brain power and common sense. After only one year, the new center is going in the hole $30,000 a month in just part of the over head. At last count, the estimate is a deficit of a million dollars by the end of next year. The answer I am sure will be a bond...which to me is another word for financial bondage to the residents who do not use, nor ever planned to pay the $395 yearly fee per family they are charging now. Now add to this, financially ruining several businesses in our city that they are directly competing with. The center opened a day care with every modern anything complete with their own little rocking chairs, nap stations, and learning modules. We have five excellent day cares and the competition has hit them hard. Next, the reception centers that have catered to weddings, business meetings. Our City Center rents cheaper and has more room choices. Next, the Gold's Gym, Curves, and other work- out places. Our City Center is open from 5 in the a.m. to 10 every day with every new bell and whistle. A former mayer who guarded against government competition against it's own citizens, will not even go in the building. It is a sad commentary on a lcity government that does not value it's own contributing citizens, those who hire residents and provide local jobs. Especially in this economic climate. A governments job is to protect and never every compete with hard working residents.

There are elections in November for Mayer and 2 Councilman. The youngest of the bunch is Bill Hudson, a man who has been so concerned over the ignoring of what the city citizens want, that he has sat in on most of the city council meetings for over the last year. His philosophy, Walt's and mine are right on. I came up with this campaign idea, my new son-in-law Cody cut the vinyl, and we are distributing these signs to a lot of people this week. Those running against Bill Hudson have put thousands of dollars into their campaigns, three of them teaming up for more power. We will see how this goes. I am also going to make calls and take some fliers around to influential people I have come to know through the years. Concerning the campaign, I had a thought to link emotion to what is going on in Washington DC right now. Bill liked it so here it is: Can't change the White House? You can change our house, Washington City! Vote Bill Hudson I hope my little contribution will help. We shall see.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I had no idea you had a blog Penny! Have you seen my blog? danielleandclayton.blogspot.com. Good for you for getting involved! Isn't that the story of our lives lately? Build things...spend money...do things that are never needed but cost TONS OF MONEY! How irritating. But, your right. No right to complain if you don't try and change something!